Hello and thanks for visiting!
Today's card was inspired by Narelles's Sketch at Freshly Made Sketches #483. Please click on either my card or the FMS 483 image to go directly to their website to fill up your creativity cup ;)
I am so inspired by the Expressions In Ink Suite - available May 4th - yay! As I patiently wait to order this suite, I've been challenging myself to learn the Stampin' Blends Markers with rubbing alcohol technique. If you like it please leave me a comment below, and as always I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about how I created it. :)
I knew I wanted to use a dragonfly that looked like it just lifted off the water, similar to those we see at the lake. They pop down for a drink, (the watery blue green ink colour), create a very slight ripple, (the splatter enhanced with Wink of Stella) and off they fly. Just gorgeous - I love dragonfly's. I hope my interpretation of Narelle's sketch inspires you to try this technique and create a beautiful card with this very simple and effective sketch. Please check out, Lesley's StampinTrix FB page this week for a how to video.
And here's the card details:
4 1/4 x 5 1/2 Basic White Thick Cardstock (CS) (5 1/2 x 8 1/2 folded in half)
4 1/8 x 5 3/8 Vellum Cardstock
1/2 inch x 2 3/8 Basic White Cardstock for sentiment
Scrap Basic White Cardstock for the dragonfly
Stampin' Blends Markers; Bermuda Bay; Balmy Blue; Night of Navy
Coastal Cabana and Night of Navy ink pads
Dragonfly Garden; Free As A Bird stamp sets and Color & Contour stamp set for the splatters ( available May 4)
Wink of Stella
Assembly & Trix:
* Create the background on Vellum. I used the above Stampin' Blends Marker colours, creating blotches of colour in a solid circle, then I dropped 99% rubbing alcohol from a Waterpainter filed with rubbing alcohol on the blotch of colour. Set aside to dry. I will show this technique on my Facebook Live this week, here's the link, Lesley's StampinTrix FB page
* Stamp the dragonfly on Basic White in Coastal Cabana ink, when dry highlight with Wink of Stella. ***Trix, Wink of Stella can move the ink of a stamped image, so ensure the image is dry first to reduce smearing. SU makes it easy to highlight stamped images, just follow the lines on the dragonfly and create slight sweeping, curving lines on the wings to catch the light.
* Stamp the dragonfly on Vellum using Night of Navy ink, allow to dry and add Wink of Stella.
* Punch out both dragonflies with the Dragonflies Punch, and adhere together using Multipurpose Liquid Glue (glue) only at the body, so the wings can stay separate.
* Stamp the sentiment with Coastal Cabana ink on the strip of Basic White CS and adhere to vellum using glue, set aside to dry.
* Adhere the dragonflies to the sentiment strip, set aside to dry.
* Stamp the ink splatter image with Coastal Cabana ink, stamp off first, on the Basic White folded card front. I wanted to create a lighter splatter look because ultimately I wanted to catch the look of water droplets, so I kind of hid the splatters under the Vellum. Then use Wink of Stella on the Vellum where the splatters are, I hope this sort of looks like water droplets.
* Flip Vellum layer over and apply glue to the area where the sentiment strip and dragonfly are, then adhere to card. ***Trix, since Vellum is see through, only apply glue to the sentiment strip area.
Enjoy and have a super day!