Hello and thank you for visiting! Today's card is inspired by a Fab Friday Sketch #209. Please click on my card or their blog image to go directly to their site and prepare to be inspired!
I live near the Niagara Escarpment in Canada, my card is inspired by one of my favourite birds, the Red Tailed Hawk. They like to build their nests in tall trees and sometimes crevices in the escarpment wall. While the card ended up being a mashup of supplies, I hope it inspires you to take something from it and create a springtime card.
Here's the card details
4 1/4 x 5 1/2 Crumb Cake card base ( 4/1/4 x 11 folded in half)
* A square of Shimmery White card stock with a Balmy Blue watercolour wash. **This is for the inside of the card so it doesn't matter the size, I think mine was a 3 x 3 square.
***Here's the visual 'trix' for this card. I wanted the nest to have some dimension, but instead of using dimensionals on the front of the card to raise the square with the nest, I cut out a square from the card front and sunk the watercolour wash square within the card. I used dimensionals on the watercolour wash square and adhered it to the back of the card front, please see the picture below.
1. Stamp feathers from the Positive Thoughts stamp set on the card front. I wanted the the feather to have a reddish tip, so I stamped first with Cinnamon Cider, wiped off the tip of the feather and then dabbed on Cajun Craze ink.
2. Cut out the card front square using the 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 square from the Stitched Shapes Framelets dies.
3. Stamp the watercolour wash square with branches, I used the branches from the Nature's Beauty stamp set to create the look of a nest.
4. Line up the inside square with the card front and carefully stamp a feather to visually line up with a feather from the card front. I wanted the nest to have feathers lining it but I also wanted to created a sense of depth an dimension.
5. The eggs are cut from the Chick Dies and randomly glued down with Multipurpose Liquid Glue.
6. The Cinnamon Cider greeting is from Springtime Joy stamp set and cut out by hand to get the two banner placement as per the sketch.
7. The bling is Rhinestones coloured with Cinnamon Cider Stampin' Blends Markers.
Enjoy and have a super day!
Lovely and natural looking - love those eggs! A super sweet Spring card! Thanks so much for playing at Fab Friday!ReplyDelete
Thx so much for writing Heather! It was fun to make - thank you for the design inspiration :)Delete
Thx so much for writing Heather! It was fun to make - thank you for the design inspiration :)ReplyDelete
We are watching a pair of Coopers hawks build a nest on our morning walking route so I totally vibe with your card! I really like how you made the window with the watercolor wash and nest elements peeking out. Great use of the challenge sketch! Thanks for sharing at Fab Friday!ReplyDelete
Hi Amanda, Thx so much for sharing your story. Such a busy time in the bird world eh! We've had a pair of Coopers Hawks staking out our bird feeders this winter. Nature is amazing and inspiring. Thank you for sharing!Delete